Laurel is a Senior Policy Analyst at EQ Research. Her areas of expertise include net metering, interconnection, community solar and market trends. Laurel also contributes to EQ’s marketing, sales and communications efforts.
Prior to joining EQ, Laurel served as a Policy Analyst at the N.C. Solar Center at N.C. State University, where she coordinated the Interstate Renewable Energy Council’s Connecting to the Grid program. She also researched financial incentives and regulatory policies for the nationally recognized DSIRE project. Prior to joining the N.C. Solar Center, Laurel spent three years in West Africa as a small business development agent for the U.S. Peace Corps.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Spreading the Solar Cheer: Reaching Low-income Customers, published by Renewable Energy World, available at www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/blog/post/2014/12/spreading-the-solar-cheer-reaching-low-income-customers.
- Model Rules for Shared Renewable Energy Programs, published by the Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC), available at www.irecusa.org/publications/.
- Connecting to the Grid, Laurel Passera, ed. Vol. 11, No.9 -Vol. 17, No. 8, available at http://www.irecusa.org/category/newsletters/connecting-to-the-grid-newsletter/.
- The Intersection of Net Metering and Retail Choice: An Overview of Policy, Practice and Issues, co-authored by Justin Barnes and Laurel Varnado. Published by IREC, available at http://www.irecusa.org/the-intersection-of-net-metering-and-retail-choice-an-overview-of-policy-practice-and-issues/.
- Sustainable Multi-Segment Market Design for Distributed Solar Photovoltaics, co-authored by Kevin Fox and Laurel Varnado. Published by the Solar American Board for Codes and Standards, available at http://www.solarabcs.org/about/publications/reports/market-design/index.html.
- Investing in Solar as a Community, co-authored by Dana Hall, James Rose and Laurel Varnado. Featured in March 2010 edition of Solar Today Magazine, pg 30.
- Community Net Energy Metering: How Novel Policies Expand Benefits of Net Metering to Non-Generators, co-authored by James Rose and Laurel Varnado. Published by the American Solar Energy Society in May 2009.
- MA, Master’s International Program in Sustainable Development, School for International Studies
- BA, International Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill