Rusty is a Policy Research Analyst at EQ Research. His areas of expertise include net metering, state and local solar policy, utility regulatory proposals (including rate cases), state legislative research, clean energy policy evolution, and financial incentives that encourage clean energy deployment.
Prior to joining EQ, Rusty managed the DSIRE project, a nationally recognized public resource that provides summaries of incentives and policies that promote renewables and energy efficiency in the United States, at N.C. State University. While at NCSU, he also collaborated with the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and the Indian Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) to develop a public resource similar to DSIRE that promotes clean energy deployment in India.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- State Policies, Incentives & Opportunities. Presented at Distributed Wind 2014. Washington, D.C. February 2014.
- Minimizing Overlap in PV System Approval Processes: Case Studies and Analysis, co-
author. Published by Interstate Renewable Energy Council, 2013.
- Annual Updates & Trends Report (2012), lead author and editor of state policy trends chapter. Published by Interstate Renewable Energy Council, 2012.
- Annual Updates & Trends Report (2008 – 2011), co-author and editor of state policy trends chapter. Published by Interstate Renewable Energy Council.
- Freeing the Grid (2007 and 2008) co-author. Published by Network for New Energy Choices.
- The Great Incentives Scavenger Hunt: A State Policy Update. Presented at 3rd Annual SEMI North American PV Fab Managers Forum. San Francisco, CA. July 2012.
- Keeping a Pulse on PV Policy. Presented at PV America. Philadelphia, PA. April 2011.
- Connecting to the Grid: A Guide to Distributed Generation Interconnection Issues, co-author. Published by Interstate Renewable Energy Council, 2007.
- M.A., Mass Communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- B.A., Journalism, University of Georgia, summa cum laude