Xcel Energy has filed for approval for components of its Advanced Grid Intelligence and Security (AGIS) initiative. Xcel characterizes AGIS as a long-term project to transform its distribution system so that it can offer improved customer products and integrate more distributed energy resources. The overall components of AGIS are:
- Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS).
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI).
- Field Area Network (FAN)
- Intelligent Field Devices.
- Geospatial Information Systems (GIS).
Xcel Energy is not requesting approval for all components of AGIS. Rather, Xcel is seeking approval for specific AMI-related areas, based on Colorado Public Utility Commission orders resulting from its SmartGridCity pilot:
- Install comprehensive AMI.
- Implement integrated Volt-VAr optimization (IVVO) across its system to promote energy efficiency.
- Develop a FAN (“Wireless Smart Utility Network” or WiSUN) to transmit AMI and IVVO device data to Xcel’s back-end software systems.
Together, these projects would require a $562 million capital investment from 2016 to 2022.