Nebraska’s unicameral legislature is considering a resolution addressing community solar, net metering and the value of solar. Specifically, LR 579 requires the legislature’s Natural Resources Committee to conduct an interim study that examines:
- Methods of authorizing solar projects that have community ownership by both municipalities and community organizations.
- Methods of assisting agricultural and business organizations in their efforts to develop solar energy.
- Whether current net metering policies need to be revised, including raising the net metering capacity limit.
- Whether state incentives are needed to stimulate solar development.
- The value of solar energy to businesses, individuals and utilities.
- Methods of facilitating the use of solar heating for businesses and individuals.
- Other issues necessary for a complete examination of these matters.
The committee must report its findings and make recommendations to the legislature.