Justin is the President of EQ Research, responsible for overseeing and coordinating EQ’s research and consulting activities. His areas of expertise include state RPS policies, REC markets, rate design, integrated resource planning, renewable energy property taxes, net metering, local government solar procurement, and financial incentives for solar deployment. He serves as an expert witness in regulatory proceedings across the country.
Prior to joining EQ, Justin served as a Senior Policy Analyst at N.C. State University, where he managed the N.C. Solar Center’s regulatory tracking service, managed the N.C. Solar Center’s contributions to the U.S. Department of Energy’s SunShot Solar Outreach Partnership and contributed immensely to the nationally recognized DSIRE project.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Envisioning Pennsylvania’s Energy Future. Published by EQ Research, Synapse Energy Economics, and Delaware Riverkeeper Network. 2016.
- Comparing Utility Interconnection Timelines for Small-Scale Solar PV, 2nd Edition. Published by EQ Research. 2016.
- 2013 RPS Legislation: Gauging the Impacts, co-author. Published by Solar Today, November 2013.
- The Report of My Death Was An Exaggeration: Renewables Portfolio Standards Live On, co-author. Published by Keyes, Fox & Wiedman, 2013.
- Property Taxes and Solar PV: Policy, Practices and Issues, lead author. Published by the SunShot Solar Outreach Partnership, July 2013.
- What is the Value of Solar? Austin, Texas Case Study, co-author. Published by N.C. Solar Center, N.C. State University, 2013.
- Why Tradable SRECs are Ruining Distributed Solar. Published by Greentech Media, 2012.
- RPS Update: 2012’s Compliance Modifications, Progress and Prognostications. Presented during Renewable Energy Markets Association webinar. March 2012.
- SREC Markets: The Murky Side of Solar. Published by State & Local Energy Report, 2011.
- The Intersection of Net Metering and Retail Choice: An Overview of Policy, Practice, and Issues, lead author. Published by the Interstate Renewable Energy Council, 2010.
- Bring Wind Home: Incentives for Community Wind. Presented at Windustry Community Wind Across America, Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference. State College, PA. February 2011.
- M.S., Environmental Policy, Michigan Technological University
- B.S., Geography, University of Oklahoma